Nicole gets hit by a car and loses her memory. The amnesia is so bad that she can't even remember her own name, let alone details of her home, friends, and relationships. This device gives Nicole an objective third-party view of her own life. This is a chance to re-evaluate all the choices she has made thus far: her high-intensity career; her relationships with men; her decayed family ties.
Of course, all of this compels the reader to wonder: What if *I* had a reset button on my life? What aspects of my life would I celebrate, and which parts would I be ashamed of?
Manzini's style is breezy and easy to read; the voice she creates of the hard-driving New York City executive with only black and white in her wardrobe is convincing. The novella grabs you from the first sentence ("What a f***ing bitch") and does not let go -- I read the whole thing in one 40min sitting.
There is much sardonic humor, surprise and, ultimately, redemption in this story. In an age obsessed with the outward signs of status and success, perhaps this is a gentle and funny reminder of what our priorities should be.
Ali Binazir M.D., M.Phil., author of [...], the highest-rated dating book on Amazon for 90 weeks
No comments:
Post a Comment