Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My checkbox is 35-40, therefore I'm middle age

The other day I bumped into a casting call and they were looking for middle aged women of 35-40 year old and it hit me: holy shit, I'm middle age!
When did that happen? I feels like yesterday I was attending University, watching Sex & The City with my BFF on Saturday night and being anorexic. Times flies, for real.
I should have seen it coming when a kid called me "ma'am" for the first time. There was a second and a third.
At parties, I used to be the cute Italian girl, now I am invisible. The cute ones are Russians in their 20s. I always got the attention of old guys, but I guess they died and the new generation of old men go for young girls.
Middle age sucks! I'm too old to have men interested in me and too young to have them leave me their seats on the bus.
Don't get me wrong, I like myself more than when I was in my 20s: I got rid of those invisible extra pounds that bothered me even though I was anorexic and I still have a smooth skin, but the day I found two white hairs on my head (not only there to be honest), well, I freaked out a little. I always thought I only got nice legs and depression from my mom, but apparently she passed huge bags under the eyes along with the rest. Thanks, mom!
It's not only about look though. Being middle age also sucks in terms of health: ten years ago I could eat Mexican and Indian food with no repercussions (okay, almost none); now the only food my stomach can take without crying for mercy is sushi. I do love sushi, but I am a little concerned of mercury poisoning.
And not only my stomach is not what it used to be anymore, other parts of my body go on strike once in a while and as soon as one recovers, another one stops working, usually a part of my body I didn't even know I had.
In conclusion, middle age stinks, but when I think that Dante wrote his Divine Comedy at 35 and Anne Bancroft was 36 when she starred in The Graduate, well... I still have a chance to accomplish something good in my checkbox 35-40.

No comments:

Post a Comment